Eliza “Shevie” Kassai, MD is a general surgeon and a valued member of the Mountain View Surgical team since 2020. Born and raised in Denver, she attended medical school at the Technion in Israel and subsequently returned to Denver to complete her residency training in General Surgery at the University of Colorado. She completed a Research Fellowship in Trauma Surgery during her training and her research has been published in multiple medical journals including the Journal of the American College of Surgeons, Injury, and the American Surgeon. She lives with her husband and three children in Denver. Dr. Kassai loves skiing, running, traveling, and spending time with her family.
General Surgery Residency: University of Colorado Hospital (2014-2020)
Medical School: MD, Technion School of Medicine (2010-2014)
Bachelor of Arts: Biology, Yeshiva University (2002-2006)
American College of Surgeons
Gold Humanism Society
American Board of Surgery – Board Eligible
Medical Licensure: Colorado
- Nehler MR, Coll JR, Hiatt WR, Regensteiner JG, Schnickel GT, Klenke WA, Strecker PK, Anderson MW, Jones DN, Whitehill TA, Moskowitz S, Krupski WC. Functional outcome in a contemporary series of major lower extremity amputations. J Vasc Surg. 2003; 38(1):7-14.]
- Moskowitz Kassai, S. Seize the Moment: Occurrences of Seizures in Biblical Times. Derech Hateva: a Journal of Torah and Science. 2004; 8;(1):45-50.
- Jiang T, Wang Z, Proctor G, Moskowitz Kassai S, Liebman S, et al. Dietary Saturated Fat Induces Increased Renal Lipid Accumulation and Glomerulosclerosis in C57BL/6J Mice via a Sterol Regulatory Element Binding Protein-1c Dependent Pathway. J Biol Chem. 2005; 16;280(37):32317-25.
- Chou CL, Yu MJ, Kassai EM, Morris RG, et al. Role of Basolateral Solute Uptake via NKCC1 and Myosin II in Vasopressin-Induced Cell Swelling in Inner Medullary Collecting Duct. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008 Jul;295(1):192-201.
- Moskowitz-Kassai E, Mackelaite L, et al. “Excretion of Anti-Angiogenic Proteins in patients with chronic allograft dysfunction.” Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2012 Feb;27(2):494-7
- Chen J, Xavier S, Moskowitz-Kassai E et al. “Cathepsin-mediated depletion of sirtuin-1 in endothelial progenitor cells: lysosomal mechanisms of stress-induced premature senescence.” Am J Pathol. 2012 Mar;180(3):973-83.
- Kallan, JE, Draper NL, Vinson L, Moskowitz E, Berg M. “A cases of antibody-mediated hemolysis in a liver transplant recipient due to passenger lymphocyte syndrome.” Am J Clin Pathol. 2015 1 May.
- Moskowitz EE, Overbey D, Jones T, Jones E, Arcomano T, Moore JT, Robinson TN. “Post-Operative Delirium is Associated with Increased Five Year Mortality.” Am J Surg. 2017 Dec;214(6):1036-1038
- Moskowitz EE, Burlew CC, Moore EE, Fox CJ, Campion EM, Cohen MJ, Lawless RA, Pieracci FM. Preperitoneal pelvic packing is effective for hemorrhage control with open pelvic fractures. Am J Surg. 2018 Apr;215(4):675-677.
- Moskowitz E, Schroeppel T. “Necrotizing Fasciitis Following Abdominal Gunshot Wound.” Trauma Acute Care Surgery Open. 2018;3:e000163
- Moskowitz EE, Siegel-Richman YM, Hertner G, Schroeppel T. “Aerial Drone Misadventure: A Novel Case of Trauma Resulting in Ocular Globe Rupture.” Am J Opthalm Case Rep. 2018 Jan. 10:35-37.
- Moskowitz E, Schroeppel T. “Brown Sequard Syndrome.” Trauma Acute Care Surgery Open. 2018;3:e000169.
- Moskowitz E, Melendez C, Dunn J, Khan A, Gonzalez R, Liebscher S, Schroeppel T. “The Long Term Effects of Decompressive Craniectomy on Functional Outcomes Following Traumatic Brain Injury: A Multicenter Study” Am Surgeon. In press.
- Moskowitz E, Khan AD, Cribari C, Schroeppel T. Size Matters: “Computed Tomographic Measurements of the Appendix in Emergency Department Scans.” Am J Surg. 2018 Dec 11.
- Moskowitz E, Cothren Burlew C, Kulungowsi A, Bensard D. “Survival After Emergency Department Thoracotomy in the Pediatric Trauma Population: A Review of Published Data.” Ped Surg Intl. . 2018 Aug 34(8) 857-860.
- Moskowitz E, Garabedian L, Harden K, Perkins-Pride E, Asfaw M, Preslaski C, Liasia K, Lawless R, Cothren Burlew C, Pieracci F. A Double-Blind, Randomized Controlled Trial of Gabapentin vs. Placebo for Acute Pain Management in Critically Ill Patients with Rib Fracture. Injury. 2018 Sep 49(9): 1693-1698.
- Moskowitz E, Campion E, Burlew CC, Helmkamp L, Peltz E, Gansar BL, McIntyre RC. Obstruction Reduction: Use of Water-Soluble Contrast Challenge to Differentiate between Partial and Complete Small Bowel Obstruction. Am J Surg. Am J Surg. 2019 Mar 1.
- Michetti CP, Fakhry SM, Brasel K, Khan A, Moskowitz E, Costantini TW, Doucet JJ, Schroeppel T, et al. Trauma ICU Prevalence Project: the diversity of surgical critical care. Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2019 Feb 18; 4(1).
- Michetti CP, Fakhry SM, Brasel K, Khan A, Moskowitz E, Costantini TW, Doucet JJ, Schroeppel T et al. Structure and function of a trauma intensive care unit: A report from the Trauma Intensive Care Unit Prevalence Project. Trauma Surg Acute Care Open. 2019 May; 86(5).
- Meizzoso, J,Kovar A, Moskowitz E, Witt C, Gore A, Schwed A, Platnick B, Campion E, Coleman C, Fox C, Pieracci C, Lawless R, Hoehn M, Moore EE, Cohen M, Cothren CC. Surgical management of splenic injury with splenectomy or splenic salvage is associated with venous thromboembolism. Trauma. Submitted for publication October 2019.
- Moskowitz E, Mcintyre RC, Burlew CC, Helmkamp L, Peltz E, Coleman JR, Kovar A, Truitt M, Agrawal V, Onkendi E, Dev R, Diaz JJ, Eaton B, Campion EM. Evaluation of a Water-Soluble Contrast Protocol for Small Bowel Obstruction: A Southwestern Surgical Congress Multicenter Trial. Am J Surg. 2019 Sep 30.
- Alhaj Saleh A, Esquivel EC, Lung JT, Eaton BC, Bruns BR, Barmparas G, Margulies DR, Raines A, Bryant C, Crane CE, Scherer EP, Schroeppel TJ, Moskowitz E, Regner J, Frazee R, Campion EM, Bartley M, Mortus J, Ward J, Almekdash MH, Dissanaike S.Laparoscopic omental patch for perforated peptic ulcer disease reduces length of stay and complications, compared to open surgery: A SWSC multicenter study. Am J Surg. 2019 Sep 30
- Kovar A, Moskowitz E, Sauaia A, Moore EE, Platnick KB, Coleman JJ, Campion EM, Lawless RA, Cohen MJ, Fox CD, Burlew CC. Trends in Hematologic Markers after Splenic Trauma: Risk Factor or Epiphenomenon? Am J Surg.
- Khan A, Elseth A, Brosius J, Moskowitz E, Dunn J, McVicker J, Schroeppel T, Gonzalez R. A Multi-Center Assessment of the Brain Injury Guidelines and a Proposal of Guideline Modifications. Trauma Surgery & Acute Care Open.
- Use of Water-Soluble Contrast Challenge in Small Bowel Obstruction Management Southwest Surgical Congress, Napa, CA, April 2018.
- Size Matters: Computed Tomograhic Measurements of the Appendix in Emergency Department Scans, Southwest Surgical Congress, Napa, CA, April 2018.
- A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Gabapentin vs. Placebo for Acute Pain Management in Critically Ill Patients Hospitalized with Rib Fractures, Chest Wall Injury Society, Park City, UT, March 2018.
- Long Term Effects of Decompressive Craniectomy on Functional Outcomes: A Multicenter Experience, Southeast Surgical Congress, Tampa, FL, February 2018.
- Effects of Decompressive Craniectomy on Functional Outcomes Following Traumatic Brain Injury, Colorado Committee on Trauma Conference, Colorado Springs, CO, August 2017.
- Acute Post-Operative delirium increases long term mortality in older surgical patients, Southwestern Surgical Congress, Maui, HI, April 2017.
- Preperitoneal pelvic packing is effective for hemorrhage control with open pelvic fractures, Southwestern Surgical Congress, Maui, HI, April 2017.
- NKCC1 is Phosphorylated in Rat Inner Medullary Collecting Duct, Experimental Biology, San Diego, CA, April 2008.
- Dietary saturated fats induce increased expression of SREBPs and glomerulosclerosis in obesity prone C57 mice, Stern Undergraduate Research Group Exchange, Yeshiva University, October 2004 (third place)
Small Bowel Obstruction. In: Mcintyre and Schulick, editors. Surgical Decision Making: Elsevier 2018.